June 14, 2010

A Street Discussion And The War Over Ao dai


As soon as I came back, Duong and I went to a stall to grab some beer with a Malaysian guy who stayed at his GH. Soon after that, his Japanese friend came to join us. He told me that he came to Vietnam because of job, got married and lives in Ha Noi now. He has been friends with Duong for 7 years, so whenever he comes to HCMC they meet up and have meal together :) Firstly, we were talking about his family. I asked him which language he used with wife etc. However, the topic shifted soon. We started talking about relationship.

It started from Duong's words mentioning about my watch. He just asked if I bought it at the market and how much it was. There was no wonder why he asked such a thing since I saw a lot of similar watches at the market, not just in HCMC but also in Cambodia even though I hadn't seen the exact same thing. However, the fact the watch isn't mine in the strict sense of the words made the topic expanded. When I told the story, he threw me a question why I didn't buy a watch for myself. I said, "Because, this is the only watch I feel like wearing as long as I keep it".

There was a change when I started wearing a watch. I hadn't wore watches for several years since wrist watches became needless things for me since I got a cellphone. I told a story behind the watch my thoughts and exchanged opinions. "You have an uncommon thought", said the Japanese guy when I finished talking. "Not everyone can be like you."

I don't know if my thought is different from most. What I know is, it's just my ideal yet and therefore I'm struggling to get close. I don't know if I can. However, at least, I won't forget about the discussion which was unfolded at a street corner somewhere in Vietnam with strangers I met by chance.

When the Malaysian guy left, we came back to his hotel. When I talked about Ao dai I got, he told me that he wanted to see me in it. I told him I didn't want to wear it because I had put it deep in my backpack, and I was too shy to let them see. There was another big reason as well. Ao dai are clothes that fit the body. Since my one is a custom-made one, so it's even more. Plus, I can't wear it by myself since because of the tightness. The buttons are crossing from my neck to underarm, and it doesn't let me wear it easily even more. However, Duong asked me again and again however I explained. I had never required by someone to wear something that much!! Lol. His friend looked a little bit amazed at his persistence. After a while, Duong had to leave for a bit, but he never forgot telling me to change before he came back. When he went outside, his friend and me talked about how persistent he was. I didn't have the will to wear it. But you know? I finally wore the Ao dai when he came back. I couldn't escape anymore when he had one of his staff help me with changing!

When I came out from the bathroom wearing it, he looked...happy...lol. We took a picture together and he told me to send it, thus I received his e-mail address. Oh, do you want to know if I actually e-mailed him when I came back? Yes, I did. Because I'm a nice girl :P


Web album: A Trip to Vietnam

No comments: