June 2, 2010

One Chance Encounter


I went back to the bridge after spending some time at the riverside. It was already dim, and I walked slowly toward the other side of the bridge. Sometimes, I stopped and looked at the river. When I looked toward the supermarket, I saw a guy who made a peace sign and waved hand to me. He was at a outdoor restaurant beside the supermarket. I made a peace sign back and waved my had as well. Then, he waved his hand again and told me to come. I ignored it once, and walked toward to the other side of the bridge, but after a few steps walk, I changed mind and went back toward the supermarket. The guy looked at me again, and waved his hand and told me to come once more.

When I reached the edge of the bridge, he left the seat and came to meet me. I went down the stairs and said hello. He seemed to be a normal guy that was around my age. I asked him if he spoke English but he didn't seem he could. I told him that I could only speak Japanese and some English. He told me to come with him anyways. Since he didn't look dangerous, I walked after him and went to the table which his friends were waiting at.

There were 3 other guys surrounding the table. I asked them if anyone spoke English, and one of them spoke a little. They asked me if I was hungry but I told them I was not. They offered me beer as well, but I nicely rejected it. It didn't seem that they were gonna harm me, but since it's not good to receive food from strangers, I didn't. I thought I shouldn't choose a way that had possibility to be dangerous. However, they ordered a bottle of water for me and since they opened the water in front of me, and the glass was the one that the waitress brought. So, I decided to receive it. We had small conversations via the guy who spoke English. I got to know one of them was a doctor, and the guy who brought me there has a Japanese relative who lives in Tokyo. Actually, he had a plan to visit Tokyo near in the future. He told me he wanted to know my address, but I didn't feel too comfortable to tell someone such a private information. However, I told him my email address and told to text me if he feels like it. Even I haven't received message from him yet, it's alright. Maybe that was an one chance encounter with general local people and I had fun.

After spending time, I left there and went back to the hotel. On my way to the hotel, I met a guy who was selling pictures. He told me they were his work and they looked nice. I bargained with him and got 4 pictures as a souvenir. Around 8PM, the bus came to the hotel and I left the city. Bye bye Hue, I definitely spent some relaxing time there :)


Web album: A Trip to Vietnam

No comments: