June 23, 2010

All Small Things


"All Small Things". It's the title of the book. The book was one of books I borrowed from the library recently. I started going to the library again after a year because I wanted to borrow a book which a girl recommended me. The title of the book was "Tokyo Guest House" and its story starts from when Akio comes back from his half year trip to Asian countries. He used to stay at his girlfriend's apartment, but when he came back, she had been already lived with another guy. It was natural since Akio hadn't kept in touch with her since he quitted his job and left Japan all of a sudden. He thought he would stay with her again when he came back, but she was already gone. Since he didn't have anywhere to go other than his gf place, he was bewildered. However, he remembered about a woman he met in Nepal. She told him that she has a lot of rooms in her house, so he can stay there like being in a GH if he wants. The story is about his new life living there. The girl who recommended me the book told me that she vaguely knew why Akio's gf left him. As a girl, she understands what Mariko (Akio's gf) felt. She told me if she were Mariko, maybe she would leave Akio as well. It was a little bit interesting because her name is actually Mariko, and she was talking about Mariko in the story.

When she talked about the book, we were in a Turkish restaurant with another guy. We all were solo travelers who met in Vietnam and it was the first meeting back in Japan. Unfortunately, other people couldn't come since they live far away. Me and Satoshi were interested in the book and promised her that we would read it. Actually, she wanted to let her know what we think when we finish the book. She wanted to hear opinions from the both side; being as a women, and man. My action was very quick this time. Next day, after work, I dropped in the library and borrowed the book already. I read half of it at night, and the other half on the train next morning while going to work. Since I worked on the book so quickly, I felt like as if I was a firework which already finished burning. However, I understood what she meant. As a girl, I know what she felt. Akio wanted to talk to her when he came back. However, she didn't want to meet him. She even rejected talking to him on phone. In the last of the story, he finally meets her. And the words she says at that time is very impressive to me. Being a girl, I know what she means. I will feel exactly the same way...Actually, I thought about someone when I read it, and I'm sure she felt the way because she is in love with him.

So, the book "All Small Things" is one of the books of the same author's. A girl, whose name is Kayano feels that something is missing about her quiet love and asks her friend to tell her about the most impressive date she's ever experienced. The girl tells her about the story, and later, she asks her a similar question. The question is passed to people to people like a relay. Each story is based on the real episodes that the author got by a questionnaire, and you will be surprised how simple they are! But I believe happiness comes when such small things move your heart. Maybe it's not that dramatic nor gorgeous as we imagine. Actually, when I think about my happiest moment, it's always something not that special. For example, I remember I was very happy when my bf held me and said something while he was talking on the phone with his friend. The words were not that special, just something simple and the place was not special either. It happened while we were walking in the city...so, not such a romantic situation. However, I remember the moment somehow as one of the happiest moment being a relationship with him...I bet even he doesn't remember it. And why I wrote this post is just because I remembered about it when I passed the place with my friend today. Thinking about my happiest moment, I was surprised how simple they are. Even though it looked "nothing" for others, it was definitely "something" for me. However, I know however being simple, it's hard to impress someone on purpose. So, I want to treat such a little happiness which happened on me as a treasure, and hope that someone received such a little happiness from me sometime as well even I don't know.

No comments: