June 5, 2010

Back To HCMC


When I came back to Tan Son Nhut International Airport, the situation was similar as the other day when I got there for the first time from Japan. The time was around 23:00 because of the departure delay, and I was alone with my backpack. What was different was, I didn't have anyone waiting for me. I didn't book a hotel when I left Hue. I'd rather have chosen an adventure.

Wish list 5: Taking a taxi by myself and get to the place safely

As I mentioned before, I've heard that there are taxi drivers who want to trick tourists and overcharge for fare. I rarely take a taxi in Japan nor even in another country, so it was something exciting for me. Firstly, I thought about finding another person who wanted to come to the same area, but I didn't see anyone. It was nice if I could find some one to share the seats with because overcharging was not that bad however if it happened. What I had to worry was about the case if I would be taken to completely different place and surrounded by massive guys etc. It's obvious I will be in a big trouble in such cases. Being a young foreigner girl not having a sense of location there, taking a taxi alone in the night in a South East Asian country doesn't sound so safe. However, I made up my mind. I waited till a taxi that I know as one of the taxi companies that are supposed to be safe. And once it came, I went toward to the taxi straightly, and spoke to the driver. "Meter drive to Sinh cafe, Pham Ngu Lao, OK?"

I slided into the seat and the taxi started. I opened eyes widely and checked if the meter started working. I didn't know if he spoke English because we didn't talk, however, the driver looked a kind of a serious person. After 30 minutes or so, the taxi arrived at the Sinh Tourist. The fare was reasonable price, and I handed him some money. However, he didn't give me a change. Since he seemed like that, I told him to give me a change. However, the bill I got from him was less than it had to be, and how dare he asked me if it was OK, lol. However, I said OK. I decided to think the money as a tip because I had a safe drive. Anyway, I learned something. Don't give them more than exact price if you buy something at a stall or if you take a taxi. Probably you will have a hard time to get a change, nor it might be even impossible. It seems that they don't want to give money back to you once they receive, lol.

So, I got to the cheap GH area again. I remembered that the manager of the GH which I stayed at the second night wanted me to come back. I was not sure if a room was available, but went there to take a look. There was a guy in the lobby and I asked if there was a room. Unfortunately, all of the rooms were already taken. So I told him if he knew any places that I could stay with 10$. He helped me finding a room and I got a room at a GH which located diagonally the opposite from the GH.


Web album: A Trip to Vietnam

No comments: