October 15, 2010

My Footprints to Hiroshima


Around 3pm...I saw a sunshine when I got to Hiroshima. When I was leaving Tokyo, it was raining a little bit. I was glad about it because I don't like walking in the rain when I travel...but it was hot, lol. Coming out from the station, I searched for the other train station to take a local train...actually it was a tram. I knew that there were some discount tickets that are useful for tourists, so I bought two of them. One was a one day pass of trams in the city, and the other one was a two days pass for going to Miyajima :) I saved some money with those tickets because the round-trip fare for ropeway in Miyajima costs 1800yen, but the 2 days pass costs only 2000yen and it includes all the way going to Miyajima using the tram, ferry and the ropeway going up to Mt. Misen.

Where I first went was the hotel I booked. I wanted to leave my backpack there. When I was searching for train tickets to Hiroshima, I was not thinking of booking a hotel, because I wanted to accomplish one thing on my wish lists that I missed before and it was staying at a dorm, lol. However, I found it was cheaper if I book a package plan which includes round-way tickets and a hotel. Since I didn't have stay at the hotel both nights, I decided to take advantage of it. I booked the plan and chose a hotel that was 10 minutes walk from the Atomic Bomb Dome. In the end, it was a right choice. It felt good walking by the river and I liked the scenery there.

Anyway, as soon as I threw my backpack in the room, I left the hotel and walked to the Peace Memorial Park to go to the museum. I didn't want to miss things that I could do the day because wanted to leave for Miyajima next day in the morning. I didn't make a time table, but had planned things (people call it almost no plans, lol) vaguely so that I can change my plans in case something happens.

So, firstly, I went to the Peace Memorial Museum that I remembered as a sad and impressive museum. Actually, I've been there several years ago on a school trip. It was fun maybe...but I don't remember it as a happy happy trip because our original school trip was for Okinawa, staying at a nice hotel which a lot of couples want to stay. But it was canceled because of 9.11 and we were about to loose the chance to go on a school trip! Luckily, we were saved from the situation in the end, but going to Okinawa in October turned into going to Hiroshima and Kyoto in freezing January. You know how students were depressed...hahaha.

Looking at exhibitions in the museum, I thought about the museum I visited in HCMC, and thought about the guy I met in Cambodia. It was just interesting that he told me his theme of the trip was "War", so he visited this museum in Hiroshima before leaving Japan, and went to places that are related to wars in Vietnam. His pictures made me go to Vietnam, and now I am in Hiroshima...As I mentioned in another post, it was definitely something that inspired me even it was a little thing. Honestly, my purpose of going to Hiroshima was going to Miyajima, however it felt a little bit strange because I felt like I was tracing his footprints back with visiting the museum, lol.

There were lots of exhibitions, and obviously each one has sad stories. They tell us the cruelty of the atomic bomb. However, I think it's beyond our abilities of imagination...Maybe we can't know what it is unless we are in the situation.


Web album: A Trip to Hiroshima

No comments: