November 27, 2010

It's The Thought That Counts

In stead of sending Christmas cards, it's common to send new year cards here in Japan. We send the greeting card to relatives, friends, co-workers, etc. Because of the popularization of computers and stuff, we rarely write new year cards by own hands, however, I don't like it so much if there is nothing on the card written by hand. Actually, I was anti-printer type and kept writing only by my hand when I had time long time ago...drawing pictures to each card, writing messages, etc...I spent more than 30 minutes, sometimes, even an hour to one card.

Since December is almost there, I should buy some new year post cards and start making them. Those cards will be thrown into a post till the end of this year, and will be delivered to houses on January 1st :) However I don't have time to write down everything by myself, I still try to write some lines to each person. Actually, it's the most fun time while I'm making cards especially for friends. Thinking about the person, remembering what happened in the year, and hope they will have a wonderful time in coming next year.

As I prefer writing a letter with a pen using my hand, it makes me really happy when I receive something that someone wrote for me by his/her hand. Of course it doesn't have to be a letter. Anything made by hands...actually, it doesn't have to be even anything that was made by the person. It's the thought that counts, and I keep those treasures however they become "past" someday. They are definitely something that I went through, and I never want to forget the feelings I had when I received them. There are two small things that I remember as one of those things now. One is a small red lava and the other is a piece of paper napkin. I don't even know if the person who gave them to me remembers, but I think I'll keep it until I die because those small things meant a lot to me.

No comments: