January 30, 2010

Hello Cambodia


I remember I was so nervous and unstable being on the 2 hours flight for Cambodia. I wished I had someone beside me. There was no Japanese announcement nor Japanese speaking flight attendant. I had been already embarrassed when I was filling up the forms for immigrating to Cambodia at Singaporean airport because there were a lot of things to write. But I found myself so stupid because when I almost finished it, I noticed that I had a help to fill them in my guide book. Damn, I should have taken a look of my guide book before starting filling the forms so I could finish it quickly :( Anyway, knowing my feelings or not, the airplane took me to Siem Reap; the place where Angkor ruins are.

I needed to get a tourist visa at the airport because Japanese people can't stay in Cambodia without having a visa. The building itself was just very simple and looked so different from any airports I had seen before. But at the place for getting visa, I felt some strange atmosphere. It was impressive. I don't remember the exact number, but around 10 people or so were sitting along a long table that is curved toward us. I had to pay money and give my passport and a photo to a person sitting the left side of the table, and my passport was given next person to next person toward right. I had to wait on the line that was in front of few people sitting on right side of the table. People there were glancing at me sometimes so I felt like I was in a court being judged until my name was called, lol.

After getting back my passport, I went outside of the building and searched for a person who was waiting for me. The GH I stayed had a free picking up service, and they told me someone would come to pick me up to the airport. So, there must be someone holding my name.. I looked around once, but couldn't find anyone. I looked again...hmmm, can't find. But when I looked around for the 3rd time, I saw a young guy holding my name. Yay, I finally found the person :D I went close to him, and he noticed me and asked my name. And then, he took me somewhere...there was a MOTORCYCLE (maybe 100cc or so). I was holding my SUITCASE. So I wondered how I could bring my luggage with me riding on a motorcycle. But knowing or without knowing my worries, he lifted my suitcase on the seat, sat in front of it and told me to sit down on the seat having my luggage between me and him and hold his shoulders over my luggage!! And we drove through the city, me, without wearing a helmet...OMG, it's impossible in Japan! I was a little bit scared, so I held his shoulders tightly, lol.

The city was dusty and hot. And he traffic rules looked much looser compared to Japan. It's not rare riding on a motorcycle without helmet, and also it's not rare 3 or 4 people are riding on a motorcycle. There are much more motorcycles than cars and it was normal to overtake others if they are slow. Traffic signals mostly exist only in city area, and each of them has a sign light beside the main lights that counting down numbers to show how much time is left to turn to the other colour. There were some great looking hotels on the streets we passed, but most of normal buildings looked poor and simple. After 20 minutes or so, we got to the GH :)

When I got off from the motorcycle, I guy spoke to me and said hi. Since he sounded so friendly, I thought he was a staff of the GH, but nah, he was also a traveler :) He told me he'd been here since 22nd, and he already got loose bowels. I told him I brought some umeboshi to avoid it but I was not sure if it would really work, lol. His name is Yuta but I didn't know the name at the time. He left Japan on 12th or so (I forgot! lol) and went to a few places before coming here. He was thinking about leaving here in a few days but still hadn't decided when to leave (he was thinking of 26th or 27th). Anyway, I'll talk about him later :)


Web album: A Trip to Singapore And Cambodia

No comments: