January 31, 2010

Angkor Wat


The first place I went on my second day in Cambodia was Angkor Wat. Seeing the temple was actually one of the main purposes of my trip :) When I got there with Neg, some people came close to me and tried to sell me water. I didn't buy it because I brought one. It may sound funny, but I thought I could be popular there. I noticed that a lot of Cambodians looked at me when I was walking and some of them came close and gave me compliments like "You look cute" or "You are pretty" in Japanese. But of course I knew it was not because I am pretty. I obviously look Japanese for them (I don't know how they noticed that I'm not Chinese or Korean), so they wanted me to buy something by catching my attention. I also noticed that some of drivers waiting for customers were looking at me wherever I went. I was wondering why, but soon I realized. It was because I was with Neg, lol. They were wondering if I was his gf, lol. It's not popular a Japanese girl like me going to Cambodia alone, and I was with a young Cambodian guy. So...no wonder. It was funny when I was leaving one of the ruins (I forgot where), my eyes met a middle aged guy's when I sat behind Neg and he told me to hold him by gesture!!! I laughed and said, "It's too hot" :P

I also experienced using a very powerful weapon there...it was S M I L E!! I'm not a person who smiles at strangers. But Cambodian atmosphere made me do that a lot. I could do that because I was foreigner there (too shy to do it in Japan! But I wanted to try!! lol). Whenever my eyes met others, I smiled at them. And they smiled back at me!! :)

Anyway, I enjoyed Angkor Wat. There are a lot of sculptures anywhere and corridors with walls having sculptures were filled with tourists. There were also many tour guides that were explaining their customers about the stories on the wall eagerly. Too bad that I didn't see any guide speaking in Japanese, lol. If I saw, I would have stopped and listened to him! But it was amazing seeing the arts, thinking of how they made such beautiful things and how long it took even without a tourguide :)

When I went back to Neg, it was a little bit later than the time he told me. I was late because I had to wait for 30 minutes or so to go upstairs of the temple. When Neg told me 2 hours when I was leaving him, I thought that would be too much, but actually it took more. I said sorry to him, and we left for the next ruin.


Web album: A Trip to Singapore And Cambodia

No comments: