January 31, 2010

First Sightseeing In Cambodia


After spending 20-30 minutes at my room doing some stuff, I went to my first sightseeing in Cambodia. I'd already told the GH staff that I wanted to go somewhere today as soon as I got ready because I didn't want to miss the time during my short stay. I told her that I wanted to go to see Roluos ruins that were built more than 300 years before Angkor Wat, and she told me that it was possible to go to Beng Mealea as well. If I can go more places, why won't I go?? :P So, of course I decided to go to both of them. She told me she would call a driver for me and when I came back downstairs, the guy who came to pick me up to the airport was there. So, he became my driver :D He handed me a pink helmet and I sat behind him. Let's go~.

On the way to Beng Mealea, he talked a lot. He told me his name and asked my name as well. I told him my name but his pronunciation was not so good, so sometimes it sounded "Magyumi" or something and I said, "Hey, Mayumi is another girls name, how dare" stuff like that, lol. It was enjoyable talking with him while driving but sometimes it was hard to recognize what he was saying.

After 1.5 hours ride or so, we got to Beng Mealea. I had to get another ticket for the ruin because the ticket I got for other Angkor ruins couldn't be used there. I was excited about seeing the ruin because I'd heard Hayao Miyazaki used this ruin as a model of his movie "Castle in the Sky". Beng Mealea ruin is collapsed and you can feel the atmosphere when it was discovered. But because of it, it's hard to know what to see or where to walk in the ruin. So normally we need a guide. I heard children would come close to guide us if we tourists go there just by ourselves, but I didn't need it because Neg (my driver's name) came with me :) When we finished exploring Beng Mealea, we headed to Roluos ruins. I saw a very beautiful sunset on the way there, but when we got there, it was getting dark :S However, it was not bad because polices were not there anymore. Normal sightseeing time had already been finished, so Neg could come with me again. I didn't know about it at that time, but later, he told me that he would be arrested if a police finds him talking to tourists at ruins because he is not a guide. He also told me becoming a guide is his dream and he is studying for it :)


Web album: A Trip to Singapore And Cambodia

2 comments:

Mommy2Twinkies-Deb said...

Nice blog! I lived in Japan a bunch of years ago, and have blogged about it. I like reading about your experiences. Thanks!

Megumi said...

Thank you :) I'm happy to know someone like you likes reading my blog.