April 27, 2008

Golden Week


There are three consecutive national holidays on the calendar (from May 3rd to 5th), and it is called golden week. Golden week is the longest vacation for most people that are working here in Japan. However the holidays don't last for whole a week, some people get their paid holidays beside the days, and make it be for a whole week. It may be hard to believe about it for you since I heard that you can get more holidays in Western countries, but Golden week is the first and also the last chance to get such a long holidays in a year. In Japan, getting holidays for a week or two weeks in other time is almost impossible. Therefore people go trip and rush to amusement places in the week, and everywhere is crowded. Guess that if you go to Tokyo Disney Land at the time! You'll wait for 2~3 hours in the line at every attraction, and will get very tired! It is smart not going such a place!

Since everyone goes somewhere, the costs about going to trips are much much more expensive than that in normal seasons. However I like going to somewhere, I would like not go anywhere this time. So expensive and crowded, don't feel like going somewhere. :( I'd rather get holidays in another season if I could, but I know that it is impossible... I envy house wives on this point that they can make time for going to trip much easier at the time that they want to go than people that work. However, this golden week is one of when I can get to meet my friends. About this year, I have for 4 consecutive days holidays since May 3rd is Sunday (Next Monday goes into a holiday instead in case like that), and I will meet different friends each day. :D Since I don't wanna go crowded places, it can't be helped maybe. So, I'll try going to some normal places that people won't rush to very much.

Ah! I want to go to a trip so badly now! Maybe I should catch a nice rich guy as my husband who can get some long holidays, and turn myself to be a part time worker!!! Lol.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

der.. did you just say you want to be a housewife that sits at home all day and idles their life away, hah.. whatever.. so who runs the hospitals while everyone is away at Golden Week? mm.. but yeah, do agree with you.. I prefer visiting places during the off-season, not when it's too crowded.. kinda detracts from the whole experience if there's too many people.. like when I was in Japan.. sooooo many students at all the tourist spots, haha.. well guess it can't be helped, probably same thing here but it's been awhile since I've had a school trip.. so.. enjoy your holiday ! ^^

btw.. what does Golden Week celebrate exactly? O.o

Megumi said...

About my Job, a few people have to work in turn while other ones are off since there are people that is staying at the hospital.

Eh, sitting at home all day isn't fun! I'd rather choose going somewhere! Oh, did you see many tourist students while you were in Japan? Is the style of trip popular in the US too? :P

Jeff said...

mm.. can't say how popular school trips are these days.. haven't been on one in more than 10 years I think.. but I don't think I've ever seen so many students on a trip over here.. hah, maybe I should plan my next trip for when school is out.. that way maybe I can avoid all the tourist students.. soooo.. when is school out in Japan? O.o

haha, also.. what does Golden Week celebrate exactly? and what does that picture have to do with it? o.O

Megumi said...

What does Golden Week celebrate exactly?...Mmm, I don't know, lol.
The longest school vacation is in August here. Are you planning coming to Japan again in August?

Megumi said...

Uh oh, I noticed that maybe I had missed what you meant. The holidays about 3-5 are 憲法記念日, みどりの日, and こどもの日. Is this the correct answer that you wanted to know? :S

Jensen E (侍奄閃) said...

ばれりー, you might want to add 昭和の日. :P