April 10, 2008

Sakura


Cherry blossom trees are called "Sakura" in Japan, and its flower is very familiar with people here. Usually, the flower is in bloom early in April, and people go cherry blossom viewing to places that have beautiful cherry blossom trees. It is like a picnic, since we keep the places with blue seat, and bring foods and drink. We call it "hanami".

Sakura reminds us a new life too. Not as same as western countries, our new life starts in April. People start going to school, woking at a company as a new member of society...etc. Therefore sakura is a symbol of beginning of new life. And of course, it is a symbol of spring too. What is the most beautiful in Japan is sakura I think. If you ask Japanese what is beautiful in Japan this time, I'm sure that most of them would say "It's sakura".

We even have "sakura front forecast" in spring in the weather news. The kind of sakura they pick up is someiyoshino. It is the most popular kind of sakura here. Its flowers come out in the spring first, and leaves come out after flowers fall. I don't like when both flowers and leaves are on the same tree since it looks dirty. The best time of sakura is when it has only flowers on its branches, and the second is when it has only leaves.

However, I like falling sakura too. Especially when it is in a Japanese style garden. If its petals fall in the pond, it looks pretty. Anyway, I like sakura too, and think that feeling calm with seeing sakura is a kind of feelings that most of Japanese have.

7 comments:

Jensen E (侍奄閃) said...

Meh, I've only been able to see Sakura trees in movies and pictures, but they are indeed beautiful. Our school has a Sakura planting site, but I have yet to see any 'real' Sakura being planted there. One way or another I'll eventually get to see the 'real' thing. I was surprised when I heard there were a lot in Vancouver. On another note, I suppose I could relate to its symbolic nature. That being, Sakura blossoms are believed to exemplify the transient nature of life due to its short blooming times. I want to see Yaezakura!

Megumi said...

Yaezakura looks different from someiyoshino. I prefer someiyoshiono and shidarezakura.

Jensen E (侍奄閃) said...

Yeah, I suppose shidarezakura look elegant as well. I'm sure there's a bunch of variations I'm not even aware of. XD~

Megumi said...

Of course! I don't aware of them too.

Jeff said...

doh, wanted to see them this time around but guess I missed the peak season there.. =\ sure I caught the occasional tree or two but from what I hear it doesn't really compare.. was hoping to see the peak at 哲学の道 in kyoto but was about a week and a half too late, it's supposed to be really beautiful too ;_;

anyway, my friend who is teaching english there didn't appreciate 花見 at first either, but from what I gather it's quite the social experience.. he tells me each area in Japan designates a specific day as the "day" for 花見, the news then gets around by media and everyone has a blast.. running into acquaintances and friends while boozing out.. @_@

Megumi said...

That was bad that you didn't see most beautiful sakura trees while you were in Japan. :( I hope that you won't miss beautiful things when you come to Japan next time. :P

Jeff said...

mm.. thinking of maybe coming back during the fall.. will see if I can afford it first though.. =\