February 13, 2011

My Assignment

On my way to work this morning, I saw a husband and wife on the train. There was an available seat in front of them, and the husband naturally held her shoulders, led her to the seat and she sat down. It looked very smooth like a stream. Such a scene may be just a simple thing, but I was a kind of impressed because it's something I'm not good at. I can easily imagine, if I were her, I would have told him to sit unless I'm really tired.

Compared to western countries, "lady first" habit is not so popular here in Japan and I'm one of those girls who are not so used to it. So I'm perplexed when I'm treated in nice a way as a "girl" by male friends. Yes, I'm a girl. A girl can get things on the tall shelf if she uses a stage. A girl can carry her bag by herself because it's her stuff and she shouldn't bring too much stuff in her bag more than her capacity. There is no wonder she pays for her own meal when she goes out with a male friend because she has the ability to pay for herself because she works and earning some money. That's been my view. You're working, I'm working, there is no reason to make you pay for me. You don't find it sweet, do you? I know I'm not, lol. I wanted to be treated as an equal person but a girl who has to be protected.

However, now I think that maybe I've been wrong. They already know that I can do things by myself and they are sweet to me not because they think I'm helpless, but think it's proper :) So I shouldn't take it negatively. It's much better for both of us to receive those favor unless they don't have some bad intention behind it, lol. Therefore my assignment is; Getting used to be treated nicely especially from the other sex. Do you find it funny? :P But when I accomplish my assingnment, maybe I won't collapse what is called a ROMANTIC MOOD anymore (I know I do it sometimes because of the shame(>_<)), right? ;)

1 comment:

Jeff said...

Soooo.. I didn't have to pay for the meals all those times !?!?! Okay, next time I visit we'll split the bills.. :)