November 12, 2008

Hung Around Ueno Park


As I wrote before, I love museums. Last Sunday, I went to National Science Museum in Ueno park with a couple of friends and a girlfriend of one of them. I'd known about the museum since before, but hadn't been there. The museum is much bigger than I expected and there was a lot of things to see. The museum is constructed of two areas, one of them is a Japanese area, and the other part is an Earth area. Since there are a lot of information's in hole of the museum, I looked it was not enough to see everything in a day. I really thought that I can spend whole a day there. I heard that the museum in Toronto that I went before was the 5th biggest museum in the world, but for me, the museum I went was as much great as it. Histories, science, plants, animals...everything was there. The area that amazed me the most is an area in the Earth area where a lot of stuffed animals were. Anyway, I thought the museum was pretty good because it costed only 600yen to enter the museum once however the scale is large. (And if you want to come again in a year, you can buy a year ticket either and it costs only 1,000yen!)

I don't know if there are many travelers' guides that have about places around Ueno park in it, but think that is interesting for foreigners too. There are a lot of museums around there, and some performers too (but maybe there's not as many as in Yoyogi park). And there is a very famous unique shopping street whose name is Ameya-yokocho around there too. On weekends, there are a lot of visitors hanging around there and in evening, you can hear fishmongers or vegetable men yelling for a discount of their items. Of course there are some people yelling from cloth stores, but I bet that they don't discount more than their normal price since the stuffs don't go bad! :P

2 comments:

Jeff said...

mm.. you should check out some of the museums we have here then (hint: come to NY !) anyway.. yeah, there were a couple of Ueno museums in my guides when I visited Japan.. went to the 東京国立博物館, it was nice.. they had some of the treasures from 薬師寺 on display there, I really liked this pair of 観音 on show.. too bad they didn't let you take pictures =\

museum was nice.. but ugh.. so many kids on school trips there @_@.. that and I remember it was raining that day, think it rained for like 3 days straight when I was in tokyo.. so that was a bummer.. after that think I hung out in akihabara and spent like.. 5000 yen at the arcades..

mm.. can't wait to come back ! hehe

Megumi said...

Yeah, 東京国立科学博物館 was so nice! I loved it! I wanna go to the museum which is in NY too! Hope that I can go some days!