February 4, 2008

Snowed in Tokyo Again


I played a Life Game Ⅱ of PS with my sister yesterday. I haven't touched my video game for a long time, and it was a little bit fun. At least, it helped killing my time. :(

We were thinking about climbing Mt. Takao yesterday, because it was 節分(the day before the calendrical beginning of spring) and we thought that we could see scattering parched beans at the temple there, however, we didn't go. It was snowing yesterday, and the snow lied on the load 15cm or so. Climbing a mountain in this weather is not sensible. I heard the snow was 5cm or so in the central of Tokyo, and it is a heavy snow for Tokyo. The Kanto region doesn't have snow, because clouds that bring snow come from the Sea of Japan (it is west side) and they stop at the mountains of Japan that run through our main island like the backbone. So, it is rare snowing here.

When I was a kid, I liked snow. If it snows a lot, schools are cancelled and I made a snowman beside our home. It used to snow like 30 cm a decade of years before, but sometimes. Maybe it is an effect of global warming. :( In our geography textbooks of junior high school, we saw a impressive picture of an area of heavy snowfall. It was Nigata, and people foes in and out from the second floor, because the snow was over 2m. But it is the story of past...like 50 years ago. It doesn't snow so much now.

What I hate about snow is roads with ice bar. ( It is not too cold like Hokkaido here, so snow melts in the daytime and becomes hard again at night. It is very dangerous. As I said here, it rarely snow, so we don't prepare for snow usually. The roads aren't prepared for snowing...like in Nigata, roads have a special structure for removing snow with water, and there are special cars for removing snow too, but we don't have them, and even don't have chains for car at home usually. To sum up, it is better not going outside and stay home if it snows. :P So, therefore I spent time with studying studying...doing video game video game and video game...

6 comments:

Jensen E (侍奄閃) said...

You should totally go snowboarding! When we were little and had a snow day we went tobogganing - lots of fun I tell you. Haven't had the chance to go snowboarding yet tho, but it's full of win. I heard my friend in Nara is going on Tuesday, lucky him. We also played street hockey on snow days, 'course we had to shovel the driveway.

Anyway, on Friday we had around 3 - 4 inches of snowfall. They even closed down the universities in the area. There were literally over 100 fender benders, yeah, driving conditions were horrible here too.

PS: Video Games & Studying at the same time? Hope all that gaming didn't affect your studying!

Good luck with your exams~

Megumi said...

Lol, it deosn't snow enough to do snowboarding :S But, my brother went to Nagano for snowboarding. However, I haven't tried it yet. I have been only skiing...In my head, university students go skiing or snowboarding in winter vacation, however, it was just my imagine. (T_T) Maybe I chose the wrong school. You should take me somewhere to play winter sports. :P

Jeff said...

mm.. you should see how ugly snow can get in the city.. it's nice when you get fresh snow, but sooner or later it all becomes black slush here.. what with all the traffic and pollution and stuff.. (and yes, children do eat the snow here.. go figure).. but still, snow is preferable to rain, don't have to worry bout carrying umbrellas or getting wet.. mm.. as for skiing or snowboarding, never tried it myself.. though of course they'll throw all the beginners on the near perfectly horizontal slope.. @_@ now where's the fun in that?

Jensen E (侍奄閃) said...

ばれりー definitely, I should take you somewhere to play 'extreme' winter sports ne. :P~ Perhaps we should even invite your brother. XD

Megumi said...

>Jeff
Yeah, I know the snow become ugly. :( Sucks ne. If people don't touch it, it is so beautiful though.

>侍奄閃
You should take me to ice skating. :P

Anonymous said...

hey bareri !
Long time no see, how are you ?
I heard from my friend who is currently working at tokyo now that it snowed heavily in Tokyo which does not happen frequently..
I guess the climate is changing now..by the way, that picture of snow on the tree branches is beautiful..