June 24, 2008

花火 -Fireworks-


Hanabi / plane

You tell lies really well
With the speed even tears don't come out
Pass the ticket gate, and it's there soon
I saw the day's sight

However my last hope is gone
I have to walk the present time
"Don't worry, sleep well tonight"
I wanna hear words like that

Like the loneliness after fireworks
You catch and let off my heart
If I were you, I will absolutely protect you
I don't let off, can't let off

I was holding not to get astray
The sky we saw together standing on tiptoe
You looked down without saying anything
Beside me frolicking innocently

Like the loneliness after fireworks
You come to my mind softly
Can I forgive you longing for another one some day?

If I say I'm okay, it is a lie
Wanna meet you, can't meet you
My heart gets ache
What made me remind of you that was not here anymore was
The small station the train specially stopped

Like the loneliness after fireworks
You catch and let off my heart
If I were you, I will absolutely protect you
I don't let off, can't let off

In the noises after fireworks
You come to my mind softly
"See you again" in the end of the summer
The season started changing

You tell lies really well
With the speed even tears don't come out


Summer is the season that a lot of fireworks are displayed anywhere in Japan. I like going to fireworks displays, however I haven't been there for a few years. It is popular for girls to wear yukata...kind a kimono when they go to fireworks display or festival in the summer especially when they go there with their boyfriends. I guess guys like seeing girls in yukatas since they look different and much prettier than normal days :) I haven't gone on a date wearing my yukata with my bf since I was too shy to act like a 'normal girl', however I think that I should before getting old, lol.

Anyway, I felt the styles looking at fireworks are different between Japanese and Americans when I went to the Friendship festival at Yokota Air Base last summer. In Japan, we see them without saying anything since fireworks are things that make us feel a little bit lonely and sentimental since they are the symbol of the end of the summer. We sometimes say something like "Oh...so pretty" or something, and clap hands...but that's it. We don't say something loudly, and also don't whistle. However, when I saw some fireworks at the air base, American people were shouting and whistling a lot. I thought it interesting. However, I prefer Japanese style. Looking at fireworks wearing yukata and holding around fan. Hopefully, I have a nice boyfriend beside me at the time :P

2 comments:

Jeff said...

mm.. don't think you see fireworks around here as much.. (haha, they're technically illegal here in NYC btw :P) but anyway, the only time you really see them is around july 4th, independence day. people gather for bbq's, celebrate, light fireworks, get drunk, etc.. they have a couple of big fireworks shows around the same time too.. it's brings out the little pyro in all of us :P

so yeah.. probably the only thing we would associate fireworks with.. not like the summer or loneliness, etc.. childhood maybe.. kids can be quite creative and mischievous in how they use them, heh..

so.. does that mean you've never worn you yukata? :P

Megumi said...

Of course I wore! But I mean, I haven't go seeing fireworks wearing yukata as a date, lol. You don't display fireworks so much in the USA? That's too bad :P They are so beautiful! I love seeing them with feeling loneliness, lol!